Who is a Man?
![]() |
| Asantehemaa's funeral Photocredit: Bob Pixel |
Written on January 17, 2017. 8.33 pm with inspirations from Kwame Amoako's Whatsapp post.
It was one
of the normal evenings for me. I had just finished some discussions with a friend
on blogging. I decided to check on my whatsapp groups because I had not opened the
app for most of the hours of the day. Upon opening, the first post I saw, from
one of the many groups I join, was from my nephew Kwame Amoako. The post read 'who
is a man? A man is one who goes out on Thursday in the evening to buy something
at Manhyia or Bremang😂😂😂' I believe anyone with inquisitive
mind like mine would want to know why he made the above comments. And some of
us too may attempt to answer the question he asked. Kindly hold on to your thoughts...I
may visit that discussion on who is a man in future post.
Let me
however comment on the post he made and probably try to share my thoughts, garnished
with ‘gutterflavor’. The above Whatsapp post was in reference to the late Asantehemaa,
Nana Afia Kobi Serwaa Ampem II, final funeral rites in Kumasi which started on 16th
January 2017. As part of the funeral arrangements, residents and visitors
(whose final destination may be Kumasi or otherwise) were cautioned not to go
out in the night on Wednesday (18th Jan) and on Thursday (19th Jan). In
effect, there's a traditional curfew in place within the designated time in Kumasi.
Ever since Asanteman
released this communique, a whole lot of discussions have ensued on many media
platforms. I must say that my response is not in defense of Asanteman or what
my nephew wrote. I have utmost respect for worshiping God and demonstration of
our faith in Him. In like regard do I respect the culture of Ghanaian people
and for that matter, Africa. When Asanteman sent out this caution, I have over
some days been reading some responses from people airing their disdain on
various media platforms…comments such as, “So
evil!; What primitive life is that?; Sorcery, divination and
enchantment in broad daylight- all in the name of 'rich culture'. May the Lord
have mercy on us…”
And a lot of these are from some ‘Churchgoers’, and some Human Rights friends. Errrrm....I
might not be a theologian but what I have read from the Holy book is that we
ought to give what belongs to Caesar to Caesar... and also show respect to
authorities. In my humble appeal, I would like to share with my modern people, Christians,
as well as Human Rights friends that show respect to our culture! Why would we comply
when the state impose curfew on citizen? And then we fail to honor our traditional
authorities with simple obedience and respect?
For me it's fair that the
authorities have sent the caution before time. Therefore if someone acts in
disobedience and experiences the consequences, it is that person's own fault. Let's
remember that before 'Akosombo dam was built, there was Nkaneam(a town in
Eastern region of Ghana, believed to have electricity in the night powered by
witches 😂 in the olden days).
To my bold friends or gyidie takashi
(soldiers of faith), going out in the night on the said date and time would be an exercise
in 'stupidity'. The Holy book says we do not wrestle against flesh and blood
but invincible forces and principalities. These ‘abrafour’ (executioners), from
what I know, are not guided by their normal 'eyes' and human emotions. They operate under the
influence of forces and of course, liquor. Modern people and especially the youth
should learn to live with common sense.
While we wait for my future post on who
a man is, let me attempt to answer in part, my nephew's question. In reference
to the caution given by Manhyia and other similar cautions in future, it is
fair to say that a man is the person who sees wisdom in common sense and acts accordingly.

Wow! A very enjoyable read this is.
ReplyDelete